Become a Coach
Thank you for your interest in coaching for Masco Youth Hockey (MYH). MYH follows all required certifications as sanctioned by USA Hockey / MA Hockey.
On this page, you will find additional information and resources required to be a youth hockey coach. USA Hockey runs our coaching program and sets forth all the requirements. To become a certified USA Hockey coach, you are required to complete all steps to be certified.
Only certified coaches are allowed on the ice or on the bench (even to just open doors). Certified coaches are also submitted to USA Hockey along with your team’s roster for registration, insurance & tournament purposes. Rosters are submitted to MA Hockey and each team is reviewed for compliance.
To become a coach, you must complete the following:
1) Register with USA Hockey (Annually, $46 plus additional fees by MA Hockey if applicable).
2) Complete a Background Check (Annually, $30).
3) Complete SafeSport Training (Annually, no cost). This is an online course discussing safety, concussion, etc.
4) Complete Age-Specific Module ($15 per module: U8 – Mites, U10 - Squirts, U12 - Peewees, U14 – Bantams) You are only required to take the class for the level you’re coaching at and this just needs to be completed once per level. This class teaches expectations regarding player development and skills at each level.
5) Take a USA Hockey Clinic (Annually until Level 5 is reached, $55 per class) These may be virtual or in person clinic depending on location. Typically, these are good for 2 years and classes are 1-2 days depending on level. (Cost is approx. $50). This is USA Hockey main coaching education program (CEP) & covers a wide range of topics. First time coaches start at CEP Level 1 and may move up to Level 5 during your coaching career.
6) Register with Masco Youth Hockey (Annually, no cost) - This is a requirement from Masco Youth Hockey so we can have an accurate list of volunteers as Head Coach, Assistant Coach and even Team Managers.
NOTE – Steps 1 -4 are REQUIRED before hockey season starts!
Step 5 can be completed in the fall but must be completed before the end of December. Most classes are in September – October. Do not delay as classes are limited and fill up quickly. If this is not completed by December, you will not be able to coach for the 2nd half of the season starting on Jan 1st.
RETURNING COACHES – You are able to look up your USA Hockey Certification / Expiration dates and Age Modules classes here. https://cepsearch.usahockey.com/
If you have any questions, please contact Rob Chiulli – Rchiulli@gmail.com